Wireless networking (again)

Neil Ford neil at binky.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 12:09:14 BST 2000

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 06:21:30PM +0100, Peter Stubbs wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2000, at 16:58, Neil Ford wrote:

> > > I've got some older Lucent WaveLan (the old 1Megabit version)
> > > Uses the 'wi' driver.
> > >
> > > Works great.
> > >
> > I was thinking of a new Lucent/Orinoco card for the FreeBSD machine.
> >
> > > For those in the know, I've got an Access Point to, but
> > > FreeBSD does not want to use that.
> > > So I run my wavelan network in Ad-Hoc (Peer to Peer) mode.
> > > The Access Point is a nice WaveLan to Ethernet bridge
> > > box.
>

> I believe that all of the 802.11 devices will talk directly to each
> other. If they do, why do you need an access point? The devices
> can just be a local subnet and talk directly to each other.

The devices can do peer to peer (ie. one device to one device) which is fine
when you only have two devices, but when you have more than that it becomes
a problem. I have three laptops that need to talk to the rest of the network
(another 7 devices) for full interoperability. Hence the need for an access
point of some sort.

--
Neil Ford
neil at ourshack.com / neil at binky.demon.co.uk