Wireless networking (again)

Duncan Barclay dmlb at ragnet.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 20:05:37 BST 2000

Hi

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 04:23:38PM +0100, Roger Hardiman wrote:
> > Neil Ford wrote:
> > >
> > > wireless kit and FreeBSD, but I can't remeber who
> > > it was.
> >
> > I've got some older Lucent WaveLan (the old 1Megabit version)
> > Uses the 'wi' driver.
> >
> > Works great.
> >
> I was thinking of a new Lucent/Orinoco card for the FreeBSD machine.
>
> > For those in the know, I've got an Access Point to, but
> > FreeBSD does not want to use that.
> > So I run my wavelan network in Ad-Hoc (Peer to Peer) mode.
> > The Access Point is a nice WaveLan to Ethernet bridge
> > box.
> >
> That's a bummer as I need support for more than one machine and therefore
> really need to be able to talk to an access point of some sort.
>
> > So instead I have a FreeBSD server with a PCMCIA card adapter
> > installed along side the ethernet card and I do
> > bridging from wavelan to ethernet there.
> >
> I suppose in theory there must be some way to use a FreeBSD box as an
access
> point, might require a special version on the card though.
>
> More investigation required.

Not really - FreeBSD will do the routing. Ad-hoc mode is exactly the same as
a wired bit of ethernet - multiple nodes will happily talk to each other
peer-to-peer. Set the other boxes to use the FreeBSD box as a gateway and
enable forwarding in rc.conf. Easy.

As I mention in another email, access points do more than gatewaying.

Just wait until 802.11a comes out! 54Mbp/s available...This will be around
in about 18months.

Duncan