Wireless networking (again)

Duncan Barclay dmlb at ragnet.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 19:56:41 BST 2000

Hi

> I believe that all of the 802.11 devices will talk directly to each
> other. If they do, why do you need an access point? The devices
> can just be a local subnet and talk directly to each other.

802.11 devices can work in two modes. These are "ad-hoc" and
"infrastructure". In ad-hoc mode the network is just like a bit of wired
Ethernet (802.3). In infrastructure mode the nodes comunicate with an access
point (AP). The AP can provide bridging to wired networks, and power saving
(the AP queues packets for a node and the node gets them every n-seconds).
Multi-APs can be used to provide a roaming network - we use this at work to
cover about 1/8mile long building.

> Cheers,
> Peter

Duncan