Wireless networking (again)

stu at spacehopper.org stu at spacehopper.org
Sat Oct 14 15:28:17 BST 2000

> I believe that all of the 802.11 devices will talk directly to each
> other. If they do, why do you need an access point? The devices
> can just be a local subnet and talk directly to each other.

Using an AP (infrastructure mode) allows lower power use in
laptops, which may or may not be an issue. Also saves a lot of
hassle with IP routing in a larger network where you have
several stations without line of sight.

> I'm very interested in the Zoom air 11Mb devices to share my
> internet connection. The problem is just getting the drivers. I've
> heard that the US versions have an external antenna. Does anyone
> know of devices available here that have decent antennas?

Wavelan (orinoco) cards support external ant's. Lucent provide
a binary linux driver for them, which I suspect may support the
infrastructure mode. They also have a nice proprietary protocol
which I suspect was the reason they bought WaveAcces - pity
they appear to have killed WaveAccess's fast FHSS kit ):

Linux drivers for the PRISM1+2 chipsets (as used by zoomair,
bay networks, a few far-eastern mfrs and others) are online at
http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/, plenty of links to
chase starting here:

http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/UsefulLinks
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html

Guide to getting orinoco(wavelan turbo) up and running
on FreeBSD: ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/darrylo/freebsd/wavelan

While I'm here... has anyone got one of BT's USB ADSL boxes
working with FreeBSD yet? (according to Demon's faq, they're
PPP-over-ATM devices).

-sh

--
the future has already arrived - it's just unevenly distributed
                                               Gibson