IMAP servers

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Fri Oct 13 10:26:20 BST 2000

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 05:57:07PM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
> Neil Ford wrote:
> >
> > I'm needing to build an IMAP server to be co-located. Anyone got any advice /
> > suggestions on the best server to use and the best way to secure it?
> >
> > Prime candidate is Cyrus (based on previous recommendation) but as I have no
> > prior experience to go on.
>
> What do you want to know?
>
> I've setup Cyrus for quite a few clients and I use it myself. It's not
> the nicest piece of software to install but it's never given me any
> problems in use and there's 100,000 plus emails in it's store at the
> moment though only a few simultaneous users.

Well I gave Cyrus a go but couldn't get a connection (from a pc running Outlook
Express) so I tried imap-wu and it worked first time.

My main aim is to not have passwords transmitted in plaintext. The box is only
going to be used by Natalie and myself so the loads not going to be too great.
As we will have shell access I want to try and keep things as tight as
possible.

So advice on how to get either Cyrus or imap-wu to only accept secure
connections is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Neil.

--