ISDN / BT home highway

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Tue Oct 3 18:37:44 BST 2000

> On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 14:14:56 +0100, Roger Hardiman said:
>
> > Brian,
> >
> >  > Is anyone on the list using ISDN on a FreeBSD machine ?
> >

> >  Yes.
> >
> >  Originally bought the BT Highway ISDN PCI card
> >  (only 49 pounds)
> >  and it is supported by the FreeBSD ISDN code (I4B)
> >
> >  However, we wanted to do v.110 and v.120 calls
> >  which I4B did not support.
> >
> >  So we spent 200 pounds on an external ISDN TA
> >  from Hayes.
> >  It plugs into a serial port on the PC and actually
> >  replaced an external modem we had there before.
> >  Simple to set up (just AT codes and a good manaual is
> >  included) and works great.
>
> Will that do dual channel? What with Demon supporting ISDN and surftime,
> unmetered 128K might be the way to go.

A TA that does the MP stuff itself isn't a great deal of use with
standard 115200bps UARTs - link bandwidth is higher than DTR
bandwidth.

The only way to go is ppp(8), either with two serial connections to
two TA ports (I guess mpd would work in this scenario) or via an ISDN
card (the best way) IMHO :-)