Can you get Book PCs in the UK?

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Mon Oct 2 15:03:04 BST 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:01:43 +0100, Jonathan Bradshaw said:

> I'm looking to make a small router/firewall and what I'd like is a BookPC
>  since it has a built in network card and modem etc. Now, in the US, they are
>  pretty easy to get but I've not found anywhere in the UK.
>
>  If you've not seen one.... here is a link to what I'm looking for:
>
>  http://www.directron.com/bookpc.html
>
>  I'd like to not have to order from the US if I can get one here...

One thing you may want to check is the modem, if it's a winmodem then it
probably no good to you.

If you want to do this on the cheap then consider scouring computer fairs for
old pentium machines in small form factors. Adding an NIC and external modem
shouldn't add too much to the price and may well bring you in below the price
of a bookPC.

For a router/firewall that should be more than adequate. I've been using a P75
with 32Mb of RAM for ages, works lovely. Probably should upgrade it from 3.2
though.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford