Can you get Book PCs in the UK?

Paul Richards paul at originative.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 14:41:32 BST 2000

Aled Morris wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Jonathan Bradshaw wrote:
>
> >I'm looking to make a small router/firewall and what I'd like is a BookPC
> >since it has a built in network card and modem etc. Now, in the US, they are
> >pretty easy to get but I've not found anywhere in the UK.
> >
> >If you've not seen one.... here is a link to what I'm looking for:
> >
> >http://www.directron.com/bookpc.html
>
> It looks a bit like an Elonex Prosentia BookPC.  On board Ethernet is
> standard, you can downspec it to Celeron 566, delete the monitor, add an
> internal modem and the standard 64MB DRAM/10GB IDE HDD would probably be
> adequate for your application.
>
> Three year warranty, £568 +VAT.

That's somewhat more than the $152 for the BookPC :-(

The BookPC looks like an NLX system to me. NLX is a motherboard form
factor like ATX but it has a very small footprint. I can get NLX systems
for around £200 ish which is still a lot more than a BookPC. The PCChips
motherboard must be a lot cheaper than the ASUS ones on my price list.

Paul.