FreebSD 4.1 and sound cards

Roger McCalman roger at runcircle.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 11:08:24 GMT 2000

I have been playing around trying to get some sound working on my
FreeBSD computer.

I have FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE. The sound cards I have are

chip2: <VIA 82C686 AC97 Audio> port 0xb000-0xb003,0xb400-0xb403,0xb800-0xb8ff irq 10 at device 4.5 on pci0

from the ASUS K7V mother board and a SoundBlaster 16 PCI (model
CT4740).

If I configure the BIOS for 'Legacy audio support' the pcm/sbc0
device will find it during boot up and the mixer (from sox) will
set/update values but I cannot get any sound in/out of it. If I
leave it with the legacy support disabled the sbc/pcm devices do
not detect it.

None of the combinations has been able to find the 'SoundBlaster
16 PCI' card.

The follow is an extract from my kernel config

#device sbc 0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x00
#device sbc 0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15

#device         pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
device          pcm
device          sbc
device          csa
device          gusc

I have tried varisous combinations of the above with and without
the 'Legacy support'

Any help would be much appreciated. I may have to resort to using
the opensound software as I want to be able to copy some vinyl
records onto CD for my father in-law who no longer has a record
deck.

Cheers, Roger