Ftp

John O'Farrell john at o-farrell.com
Tue Nov 14 08:20:44 GMT 2000

Just a thought:
http://www.ncftp.com/
John

----- Original Message -----
From: Dominic Mitchell <dom at happygiraffe.net>
To: Adrian Wontroba <aw1 at stade.co.uk>; Dominic Mitchell
<dom at happygiraffe.net>; David Richards <davidr at eurosoft-uk.com>;
<freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: Ftp

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 04:50:01AM +0000, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 08:33:12AM +0000, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 04:43:17PM -0000, David Richards wrote:
> > look at the ProFTPd port in /usr/ports/ftp/proftpd.  It's a lot more
>
> Isn't ProFTPd under something of a security cloud?

It's meant to be OK as of 1.2.0rc2.  However, given the number of times
that it has been said before, I'd be inclined to distrust it.  I'm in
the middle of the ProFTPd code right now and it's not what I'd call
inclined towards security.

> Myself, I think I'd prefer to use the stock ftpd, give the uploading
> user(s) accounts of their own and appropriate group access.

This is a much better option.  However, it does require knowing in
advance what users are going to be uploading.  It would be nice to have
the stock ftpd a bit more configurable.  Maybe I should look at porting
the NetBSD one which has had quite a few recent enhancements by lukem...

-Dom