ISDN PPP for Dummies!

Tom Hukins tom at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 1 23:19:36 GMT 2000

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 10:27:25AM -0000, Simon Clayton wrote:
> OK, a bit shabby on the response times! but I have been out and purchased a
> BT Speedway ISDN PCI card (item code 871550) which I have installed in one
> of my dev servers.  I have checked and the BIOS shows the card when booting
> but I cannot see anything in the dmesg text to indicate that FreeBSD 4.0 has
> found the card - can anyone tell me what I should be looking for?
>
> The system is running with a generic kernel - do I need to rebuild the
> kernel with extra devices? If so which ones?

GENERIC kernels don't include ISDN capabilities, so you'll need to
rebuild.  If you're using a Speedway, look for AVM in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT and lift the appropriate parameters from
that part of the file.

You can check the capabilities of a GENERIC kernel by reading
through /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC - you won't see anything
mentioning ISDN, i4b or AVM in there.

Regards,
Tom