NTL and FreeBSD

Mark Ovens mark at freebsd-uk.eu.org
Wed May 31 22:23:56 BST 2000

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 02:00:51PM +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 06:38:10PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Is anyone using NTL (as opposed to BT) to connect to their ISP from
> > FreeBSD? I mean those with a BT line but with the NTL adaptor box
> > plugged into the BT socket?
>
> I'm using ntlworld over a BT line (ie. using the 1263 indirect prefix), if
> that's what you mean?  The modem isn't connected through the adaptor box -
> I wouldn't trust it not to mess with the connection - but the box seems to
> work fine for voice calls, so far.
>
> > If so, is it easy to set up (as usual, they only supply Win and Mac
> > s/w) and what's the speed like?
>
> Registration was a bit awkward on a non-Windows/Mac machine, but once
> that's sorted it's a normal PPP connection.

Can you give some tips here please. I registered under Windows, then
noted the settings and transferred them to FreeBSD. It fails on the PAP
authentication:

May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: bundle: Authenticate
May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: deflink: his = PAP, mine = none
May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: Pap Output: parish ********
May 31 21:46:42 parish ppp[232]: Phase: Pap Input: FAILURE ()

I tried dialling in from term and entered my username and password at
the login: and password: prompts (very carefully, and tried several
times) but it always comes back with "Invalid username/password pair".

What else do I need to do?