Mail problems with freebsd.org

Scott Mitchell scott.mitchell at mail.com
Tue May 30 20:01:56 BST 2000

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 10:06:45AM +0100, Paul Civati wrote:
> I will speculate that whatever 194.73.73.138 is (BTI smart host?),
> hub.freebsd.org is rejecting the mail because 194.73.73.138 does
> not have any reverse DNS entry.
>
> This is IMO crap that a) hub.freebsd.org is being this picky b) BT
> Internet are incapable of maintaining DNS on their network.

Not just BT -- I had to hassle ntl over a similar issue last month,
although in that case their mailhosts were spitting out names with no
*forward* DNS...how dumb is that?  They must employ at least one person
with a clue however, since they did manage to fix it.

OTOH, they don't hijack outgoing SMTP connections, so I could quite happily
deliver the mail directly to freebsd.org.

	Scott