Mail problems with freebsd.org

Mark Ovens mark at freebsd-uk.eu.org
Tue May 30 18:58:46 BST 2000

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 08:38:13AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> [Note, I've cc'd BT Internets support address as I feel they should
> be given a chance to respond to this sort of criticism.  Please trim
> replies appropriately.  BTI support, please note that the
> freebsd-users address is a mailing list]
>
> > On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 10:04:07AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > Well, I tried that - using mail.btinternet.com as a relay and
> > > everything got bounced.
> > >
> > > What setup have you got ?
> > >

> > Looks like we tried a really bad time to try this, everything I sent
> > last night (Sat.) got "Unable to deliver for xx hours" messages. I did
> > get a couple of:
> >
> > This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
> >
> > A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
> > following address(es) failed:
> >
> >   nik at freebsd.org:
> >     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
> >     <nik at freebsd.org>:
> >     host hub.freebsd.org [204.216.27.18]:
> >     450 Client host rejected:
> >     cannot find your hostname, [194.73.73.138]:
> >     retry timeout exceeded
> >   freebsd-doc at freebsd.org:
> >     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
> >     <freebsd-doc at freebsd.org>:
> >     host hub.freebsd.org [204.216.27.18]:
> >     450 Client host rejected:
> >     cannot find your hostname, [194.73.73.138]:
> >     retry timeout exceeded
> >
> > Any clues?
> >
> > I'm using mutt + sendmail and the key lines in sendmail.cf are:
> >
> > DSmail.btinternet.com
> >
> > DMukug.uk.freebsd.org
>
> I think this is just unforgivable.  BT internet's services suck
> *really* big time !  In fact, just to pooh-pooh their entire mail
> service (we already know that the incoming MXs are really slow and
> that the relay either doesn't accept mail or takes forever to
> forward), I've finally figured out why my fetchmail setup has been
> hanging.... I recently added a poll to awfulhak at btinternet.co.uk !
>
> Just to add fuel to the fire, and in case I haven't mentioned it
> before, in the evenings, I (and 3 colleagues) experience 30% packet
> losses a lot of the time.

As I mentioned before, I think a lot of the problems are regional; you
live in or around London, right?

> Also, if you ``enable dns'' when negotiating a connection to bt, they
> will supply the IP numbers of some DNS servers that are over A YEAR
> OUT OF DATE !

You mean the 213.xxx.yyy.zzz ones? I've noticed it sometimes uses
those and then nslookup complains it can't resolve the nameserver, or
something.

One thing I still don't understand is that if I post to say -chat and
Cc: it to this (UK Users) list and to you at Awfulhak then the latter
2 will receive it almost immediately but -chat will take hours, in
fact posts I sent Sunday *still* haven't appeared on -questions etc.
Have you *any* idea why BTI seems to have difficult sending to
freebsd.org?

BTW, Nik, if you read this one of those posts was about the sample
index pages that I've done for you to review.

> If you contact BT support about this, they tell
> you that you should use the DNS servers that they publish on their
> web pages - the ones right above the paragraph that says "if you can
> auto-negotiate DNS, this is better" !
>
> I haven't tried their news service.  I'm sure that works perfectly.
>
> I'll keep the account because of the free calls, a single UDP
> connection through them is all they'll ever see though !!!

Ditto, although it hasn't been *that* bad for me until this last week.

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX
mailto:mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org             http://www.radan.com