Mail problems with freebsd.org

Brian Somers brian at awfulhak.org
Tue May 30 08:38:13 BST 2000

[Note, I've cc'd BT Internets support address as I feel they should
be given a chance to respond to this sort of criticism.  Please trim
replies appropriately.  BTI support, please note that the
freebsd-users address is a mailing list]

> On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 10:04:07AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > Well, I tried that - using mail.btinternet.com as a relay and
> > everything got bounced.
> >
> > What setup have you got ?
> >

> Looks like we tried a really bad time to try this, everything I sent
> last night (Sat.) got "Unable to deliver for xx hours" messages. I did
> get a couple of:

> A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
> following address(es) failed:
>
>   nik at freebsd.org:
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
>     <nik at freebsd.org>:
>     host hub.freebsd.org [204.216.27.18]:
>     450 Client host rejected:
>     cannot find your hostname, [194.73.73.138]:
>     retry timeout exceeded
>   freebsd-doc at freebsd.org:
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
>     <freebsd-doc at freebsd.org>:
>     host hub.freebsd.org [204.216.27.18]:
>     450 Client host rejected:
>     cannot find your hostname, [194.73.73.138]:
>     retry timeout exceeded
>
> Any clues?
>
> I'm using mutt + sendmail and the key lines in sendmail.cf are:
>
> DSmail.btinternet.com
>
> DMukug.uk.freebsd.org

I think this is just unforgivable.  BT internet's services suck
*really* big time !  In fact, just to pooh-pooh their entire mail
service (we already know that the incoming MXs are really slow and
that the relay either doesn't accept mail or takes forever to
forward), I've finally figured out why my fetchmail setup has been
hanging.... I recently added a poll to awfulhak at btinternet.co.uk !

Just to add fuel to the fire, and in case I haven't mentioned it
before, in the evenings, I (and 3 colleagues) experience 30% packet
losses a lot of the time.

Also, if you ``enable dns'' when negotiating a connection to bt, they
will supply the IP numbers of some DNS servers that are over A YEAR
OUT OF DATE !  If you contact BT support about this, they tell
you that you should use the DNS servers that they publish on their
web pages - the ones right above the paragraph that says "if you can
auto-negotiate DNS, this is better" !

I haven't tried their news service.  I'm sure that works perfectly.

I'll keep the account because of the free calls, a single UDP
connection through them is all they'll ever see though !!!

Perhaps BTI could do with a bit of FreeBSD consultancy and the
installation of a few dozen FreeBSD mail servers.