Riddle me this

Josef Karthauser joe at pavilion.net
Mon May 29 21:52:43 BST 2000

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 10:17:47AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > Is there a way of installing freebsd on a server by way of the network
> > connection only. i.e. no diskettes or CD or even physical access to the
> > server. The only access is through its network connection. Currently it
> > runs RH 6.1 and I want to move to FreeBSD 3.4 or 4.0.
>
> I think you can probably do it, but it'll be tricky.
>
> I'd try creating a small floppy-sized partition and dd'ing the floppy
> image on there.  You should be able to boot from it and type
> ad(0,a)/kernel at the prompt to boot the boot floppy.  The rest
> should be as normal (over nfs/ftp or whatever).
>
> If you leave enough space right after the new partition you should be
> able to turn it into swap later.

That should work, although you'd be advised to test the procedure on
a localised machine first :).  Of course you'll need to make your
disk image in a location that doesn't clash with the existing Linux
partition (assuming that you wish to install FreeBSD over the _top_ of
the existing O/S), and that you can pass control to it via LILO.

Joe