Riddle me this

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Mon May 29 10:17:47 BST 2000

> Is there a way of installing freebsd on a server by way of the network
> connection only. i.e. no diskettes or CD or even physical access to the
> server. The only access is through its network connection. Currently it
> runs RH 6.1 and I want to move to FreeBSD 3.4 or 4.0.

I think you can probably do it, but it'll be tricky.

I'd try creating a small floppy-sized partition and dd'ing the floppy
image on there.  You should be able to boot from it and type
ad(0,a)/kernel at the prompt to boot the boot floppy.  The rest
should be as normal (over nfs/ftp or whatever).

If you leave enough space right after the new partition you should be
able to turn it into swap later.