Mail problems with freebsd.org

Mark Ovens mark at freebsd-uk.eu.org
Sat May 27 16:51:57 BST 2000

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 04:36:05PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > Can anyone shed any light on this for me please. Any posts I send to
> > the FreeBSD mailing lists take over 8 hours to appear in the lists,
> > however, if I Cc: someone then the same mail gets to them immediately.
> > Yet I've just replied to a post here on -users and that appeared on
> > the list within minutes.
> >
> > It seems that my ISP (BTInternet - don't laugh) has rouble sending to
> > freebsd.org. Here's a typical header from one of my posts, taken from
> > -ports:
>
> BT Internet's mail servers are overused (as is their network).
> They're 12 hops away from pavilion

Hmm, that header I included showed only one hop from them to
freebsd.org. Strange :-/

> and at (frequent) times drop about
> 30% traffic.  I often see mail to btinternet queued on
> storm.FreeBSD.org.uk for quite some time (several hours).
>
> I think you get what you pay for :-(

Well, £9.99 per month for 0800 access 6pm - midnight Mon - Thu and 6pm
Fri - midnight Fri makes slow d/l's (not all the time though)
tolerable (you want to see how much I've saved on my 'phone bill :)).

Anyway, as you say, their servers are overloaded so I'm waiting for my
CD from NTL to arrive; I've heard good reports about them and they
state that they are controlling the take-up rate (unlike BTI) to
monitor usage and prevent them getting into resource problems (unlike
BTI).

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX
mailto:mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org             http://www.radan.com