Fwd: Re: ST Helens LEA (fwd) - marketting BSD over Linux to Students

Jonathan Belson jon at dookie.demon.co.uk
Sat May 27 10:57:29 BST 2000

Hiya

> Sorry if my post was not well written.  What I think I mean to infer
> or imply is there an option to get the Linux style graphics card detection
> software inside the FreeBSD install?
>
> E.g., installer detects the type of graphics card, then automatically
> loads the correct version of X.  IMHO:  The FreeBSD install is superior to
> Linux in many regards - except the graphics card X installation definitely
> standards out as a big plus for most modern Linux distributions.

It's been a while since I last installed Linux; the installers used to be
terrible but now (apparently) they're much better.

The FreeBSD one is okay but I've always found it a bit quirky - it's fine
once you get used to though.

On an entirely unrelated note, does anyone know if Debena's Linux port
of 'Canvas' works under FreeBSD?  Even with my 2Mbit ADSL line (smug ;^)
I suspect it will take a while to download.

C-YA
Jon

<http://www.dookie.demon.co.uk>