ST Helens LEA (fwd) - marketting BSD over Linux to Students

Lachlan Cranswick l.m.d.cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Sat May 27 02:50:22 BST 2000

>From: Josef Karthauser <joe at pavilion.net>
>On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 05:01:32PM +0100, L. Cranswick wrote:
> >
> > The big marketting problem I see with FreeBSD over Linux
> > for schools/students is ease of installation with respect to
> > detection of graphics cards and installation of the
> > relevant X-windows.  Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, SuSE, etc)
> > seems to have this - FreeBSD does not?  Getting X to work
> > is potentially the most painful thing - followed by
> > network cards.
>
>Yes, but both FreeBSD and Linux run the same X11 code, XFree86, so
>there's not many differences there.

Sorry if my post was not well written.  What I think I mean to infer
or imply is there an option to get the Linux style graphics card detection
software inside the FreeBSD install?

E.g., installer detects the type of graphics card, then automatically
loads the correct version of X.  IMHO:  The FreeBSD install is superior to
Linux in many regards - except the graphics card X installation definitely
standards out as a big plus for most modern Linux distributions.

Cheers,

Lachlan.

Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
     for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                            http://www.ccp14.ac.uk