(Fwd) Re: ST Helens LEA (fwd) - marketting BSD over Linux to S

Kevin O'Connor NetWork Support kevin at rainford.org.uk
Fri May 26 17:17:01 BST 2000

From:           	Self <Kevin.RAINFORD>
To:             	L.M.D.Cranswick at dl.ac.uk (L. Cranswick),freebsd-users-admin at uk.freebsd.org
Subject:        	Re: ST Helens LEA (fwd) - marketting BSD over Linux to Students
Date sent:      	Fri, 26 May 2000 17:14:22 +0100

From:           	L.M.D.Cranswick at dl.ac.uk (L. Cranswick)
Subject:        	ST Helens LEA (fwd) - marketting BSD over Linux to Students
To:             	freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org (Free BSD UK users List)
Date sent:      	Fri, 26 May 2000 17:01:32 +0100 (BST)

All St Helens schools have a connection to an authority wide
network called Viper this provides filtered internet and e-mail
access the requirment is mainly for a proxy server doing NAT and
an internal web server that the kids can publish to. The skill set
within the group varies but on the whole is high (NT4 and Novell but
little or no knowledge of Unix type OSs. X windows is not an issue
at this moment as desktop use would be a slow process people
simple need to be aware of what options apart from Linux are
available and it has to come from a source outside of the IT user
group. As this group has already discussed FreeBSD in education
I merely put it forward as an opportunity to get this operating
system more widely known and talked about.

Kevin