ST Helens LEA (fwd) - marketting BSD over Linux to Students

L. Cranswick L.M.D.Cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Fri May 26 17:01:32 BST 2000

Forwarded message:
> From: "Kevin O'Connor  NetWork Support" <kevin at rainford.org.uk>
>
> Just a quick one, I've just been to a meeting of the IT users group
> at ST. helens LEA. Several schools are talking about using Linux
> would any members of this group be will to address them (maybe a
> 30 minute presentation and field some questions on FreeBSD) on
> why they should consider FreeBSD. I'm off to Madrid monday for a
> few days but if there is any interest I would like to organise it some
> time in the 4-6 week time frame
>
> Kevin

The big marketting problem I see with FreeBSD over Linux
for schools/students is ease of installation with respect to
detection of graphics cards and installation of the
relevant X-windows.  Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, SuSE, etc)
seems to have this - FreeBSD does not?  Getting X to work
is potentially the most painful thing - followed by
network cards.

What FreeBSD options exist here compared to Linux and
how would this be put to schools/students - where ease
of installation would be an issue(?)

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk