NTL and FreeBSD

Mark Ovens mark at freebsd-uk.eu.org
Sat May 13 15:04:28 BST 2000

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 02:00:51PM +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 06:38:10PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Is anyone using NTL (as opposed to BT) to connect to their ISP from
> > FreeBSD? I mean those with a BT line but with the NTL adaptor box
> > plugged into the BT socket?
>
> I'm using ntlworld over a BT line (ie. using the 1263 indirect prefix), if
> that's what you mean?  The modem isn't connected through the adaptor box -
> I wouldn't trust it not to mess with the connection - but the box seems to
> work fine for voice calls, so far.

Ah, so all the adaptor does is to automatically add a prefix number to
the number you dial? Like 10-digit access code needed to access
Mercury from a BT line?

> > If so, is it easy to set up (as usual, they only supply Win and Mac
> > s/w) and what's the speed like?
>
> Registration was a bit awkward on a non-Windows/Mac machine, but once
> that's sorted it's a normal PPP connection.  Speedwise, it's great,
> noticeably better than FreeServe who I was using before.  The modem always
> connects at 33k6 (which is as fast as it goes...), ntl's mail/news servers
> are generally pretty zippy, bandwidth to the rest of the net is good.
> That's in Cambridge, mind you, it might not be so good in other parts of
> the country; I guess it depends which part of ntl's network you're
> connecting to.
>
> Anyway, for £10/month (including a £10 call allowance), I'm happy.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it further.

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX
mailto:mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org             http://www.radan.com