Using FreeBSD and mobile phones (specifically Mot L7089)

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Thu May 11 13:39:30 BST 2000

Roger Hardiman <roger at cs.strath.ac.uk> wrote:

> For those who do not know what gnokii is, I'll explain.
>
> Newer Nokia phones can connect to the serial port on your
> PC or laptop. A bit like an external modem.
> However, the protocol for the data sent over this serial line
> has been kept secret.
>
> So, we do not know how to talk to the phone.
> It certainly is not AT codes.
>
> The gnokii project managed to work out Nokia's protocol.
> and write a front end which has a full AT command set
> to Nokia protocol converter.

To be clearer still, newer phones both Nokia and Ericsson have modems
built in to them.  This means they can do direct dialup through IR or
serial cable.

Older phones (eg. my Orange nk702 aka 6110) have an IR port but no
built in modem.  But, they do support use of a "soft" modem aka
a winmodem over IR or serial.  This is what the Nokia DataSuite is.

Gnokii provides an AT interface to its soft modem.

-Paul-