Using FreeBSD and mobile phones (specifically Mot L7089)

Roger Hardiman roger at cs.strath.ac.uk
Thu May 11 13:09:41 BST 2000

Hi,

> IR support would be really good to see, with a combination of
> gnokii <URLhttp://www.gnokii.org/> "soft" modem.

I've been following gnokii's history and I'm really interested
in it.

For those who do not know what gnokii is, I'll explain.

Newer Nokia phones can connect to the serial port on your
PC or laptop. A bit like an external modem.
However, the protocol for the data sent over this serial line
has been kept secret.

So, we do not know how to talk to the phone.
It certainly is not AT codes.

The gnokii project managed to work out Nokia's protocol.
and write a front end which has a full AT command set
to Nokia protocol converter.

Roger