Using FreeBSD and mobile phones (specifically Mot L7089)

David Marsh at home drmarsh at bigfoot.com
Thu May 11 01:05:17 BST 2000

My existing mobile phone contract is about to expire, and I'm about to move
to Orange, which means I'll be able to get a new mobile phone.

I'm quite keen on the Motorola L7089, which has an infra-red port (but for
which a data cable is also available).

Does anybody have any experience of using this phone to connect to the
internet under FreeBSD? Is it possible?

Is it possible to use mobile phones 'in general' (OK, the setup can vary so
much that this isn't really a general question ;-)  under FreeBSD?

I know that some members of this group are doing funky things with Orange
mobiles and FreeBSD (but with their own code), but was just wondering if us
masses could get online with our mobile phones under FreeBSD.

At the end of the day, I'm only being mildly curious to see if this is
possible - I don't have a laptop (or an infra-red port on my desktop) at
present, and will probably get a Psion organiser (if I can save up the
pennies :-) for mobile use, but it would be nice to know if it were
possible..

Thanks,

David.

--
David Marsh,drmarsh at bigfoot.com | http://www.viewport.co.uk/          |
Glasgow, Scotland.              | If urgent, phone: +44 77-121-848-90 |