Drastic build problems with new kernel, help !

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Sat Mar 25 14:46:18 GMT 2000

Philip Wainwright <philip at wwright.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Re-booting can recover, and sometimes a full  build
> completes (after a few re-boot / re-tries !).
> However I suspect that whatever is built finally, is invalid
> since attempting to boot from the new kernel, generates a
> trap, just after the F00F work around.
>
> Could I have damage to some of the sys source libraries ?

Baring in mind what you write above, that it sometimes completes
and sometimes not, I would suspect your sys sources are intact.

> As far as I can determine, the system is running ok with the
> Generic kernel (I have seen no other oddities or faults).

See <URL:http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/>, kernel compilation will
stress your machine properly and throw up hardware faults more
easily than a machine which has booted okay and is sitting idle.

> cc: Internal compiler error: program as got fatal signal 11
>
> Any suggestions or ideas ?

The above URL may provide enlightenment.

-Paul-