Drastic build problems with new kernel, help !

Philip Wainwright philip at wwright.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 25 12:25:01 GMT 2000

Hi,=20

I am having drastic problem with the "make" phase of a
kernel build (make depend completes ok).
'as' crashes out with a signal 11 (gdb shows a segmentation
fault found when examining as.core), knocking out the build.

Retrying prior to rebooting, repeatedly failes.

Re-booting can recover, and sometimes a full  build
completes (after a few re-boot / re-tries !).
However I suspect that whatever is built finally, is invalid
since attempting to boot from the new kernel, generates a
trap, just after the F00F work around.

Could I have damage to some of the sys source libraries ?

As far as I can determine, the system is running ok with the
Generic kernel (I have seen no other oddities or faults).

Some details :
System :
Pentium 1 (166 MHz) with 32 MB of system memory, on SCSI
hard disk, running dedicated, FreeBSD 3.4 release #0.

Last output line :
cc -c -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls
-Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith
-Winline -Wuninitializ
ed -Wformat -Wunused  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc
../../include  -DKERNEL -DVM_STACK -include opt_global.h
-elf  ../../kern/kern_d
escrip.c
cc: Internal compiler error: program as got fatal signal 11
*** Error code 1=20

Any suggestions or ideas ?

Phil.
------