ispsetup (was: Re: FreeBSD in Dixons)

Daniel O'Callaghan danny at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 20 23:06:46 GMT 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, spork wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Dominik Brettnacher wrote:
>
> > Why do you want to use large flat files instead of a file system? The
> > Ports Collection also works fine with lots of little files. I think little
> > files are easier to maintain.
>
> Ever unpack ports?  It takes forever on the fastest machines.  The last
> install I did, I think it took longer to install ports than the rest of
> the OS...

That's my feeling.  It's especially sad to twiddle one's thumbs and listen
to the disk crunching while it unpacks the korean, japanese, russian,
graphics and many other ports sections which I am never going to use.
Repeating the exercise for all the ISPs in the world would be suboptimal,
to say the least.

Danny