ispsetup (was: Re: FreeBSD in Dixons)

Brian Somers brian at awfulhak.org
Tue Mar 14 08:50:03 GMT 2000

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 08:16:40AM +0000, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> > > There are complications in selecting which number to dial, too.
> > > For example, here in NZ:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I see in the Demon example you used 0845, which is cheating :) I'm
> > > not sure a totally generic solution is even possible, but it'd be
> > > nice to be flexible.
> >
> > Well, I'm sure a gfeneric solution is possible; I do actually like the
> > idea of the "dialling locations" feature in win95.  However, for the
> > moment, I think it's best to just put a reminder in the program stating
> > that the configuration assumes a national phone number and no pabx (edit
> > if required).  We can then revisit this area when we have some more
> > functionality in place.
>
> I think the existence of a national number is the exception rather than
> the rule, although I appreciate things might be a little different in
> the UK.
>
> How about extending your directory structure to:
>
>   .../isp/COUNTRY/REGION/ISP/
>
> where COUNTRY is an iso3166 country code, and REGION is either a
> string representing a local calling area or some other obvious
> country-specific string like "national".

Wouldn't .../isp/COUNTRY/REGION be better, where you'd have something
like

  .../isp/demon
  .../isp/uk/demon
  .../isp/nl/demon
  .../isp/uk/london/demon

The 0845 numbers could then appear in the isp/uk/demon file and the
0171 numbers in the london one etc, and things could default as
appropriate (if .nl have one global number, it can be put at that
level rather than being repeated for various regions that may have
other region-specific stuff).

> See attached example -- note that I haven't changed your scripts; I've
> just added an extra layer of directories.

Haven't looked at you next mail yet :-)