ispsetup (was: Re: FreeBSD in Dixons)

Joe Abley jabley at patho.gen.nz
Mon Mar 13 09:31:58 GMT 2000

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 08:16:40AM +0000, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> > There are complications in selecting which number to dial, too.
> > For example, here in NZ:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I see in the Demon example you used 0845, which is cheating :) I'm
> > not sure a totally generic solution is even possible, but it'd be
> > nice to be flexible.
>
> Well, I'm sure a gfeneric solution is possible; I do actually like the
> idea of the "dialling locations" feature in win95.  However, for the
> moment, I think it's best to just put a reminder in the program stating
> that the configuration assumes a national phone number and no pabx (edit
> if required).  We can then revisit this area when we have some more
> functionality in place.

I think the existence of a national number is the exception rather than
the rule, although I appreciate things might be a little different in
the UK.

How about extending your directory structure to:

  .../isp/COUNTRY/REGION/ISP/

where COUNTRY is an iso3166 country code, and REGION is either a
string representing a local calling area or some other obvious
country-specific string like "national".

See attached example -- note that I haven't changed your scripts; I've
just added an extra layer of directories.

Joe