ispsetup (was: Re: FreeBSD in Dixons)

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Mon Mar 13 08:22:47 GMT 2000

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 08:31:10PM +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
> > * We need to sit down together and figure out 90% of the variables
> >   needed to configure each service for an isp.  There are a number of
> >   issues involved.  The biggie for me is how to do resolv.conf
> >   correctly, even in the case of multiple isp's (not all of them give
> >   DNS configuration through IPCP).
>
> This has just got better.  There's now (patch ready for Monday) a
> ``resolv'' command in ppp:

[snip]

Thanks!  I was just contemplating doing a patch today for just this sort
of event (but on a much smaller scale).

> Most ISPs (are Demon the only ones that don't these days?) will
> negotiate DNS during IPCP.  If they don't, we need to put them in the
> config file.

I haven't heard of any others that need it, but there's always one...

> We always want ``resolv restore'' in ppp.linkdown.
>
> Ppp is then happy to rewrite resolv.conf and put it back when it's
> done, but for those of us who use named, we want a small ``setdns''
> script.  I happen to have a rather crude one here that replaces the
> forwarders line in named.conf and HUPs named.  I could tart it up a
> bit and the use of it could be based on /etc/rc.conf containing
> named_enable=YES.
>
> > * A number of configuration issues depend on which port/package has been
> >   installed.  eg: sendmail vs postifx vs exim vs qmail or perhaps squid
> >   vs. wwwoffle.  I'm not entirely sure how best to approach this.
>
> I reckon the aim should be to provide a list of possibilities,
> indicating which of these would need to be installed.  The
> possibilities would be limited to what the writer understands/knows/
> likes...

I was thinking of using a list, then checking to see which was installed
and creating a configuration file for it.  If not, then I'd present a
list of packages/ports to install.

Alternatively, we could write out the information in a "generic format",
then change write a seperate program to lever that information into the
ported programs configuration file...  However, I still don't think that
this would address the issue of being able to use multiple ISPs very
well.  Most server software today doesn't like to believe that it can
end up in very different places on the net whilst it's still running.
:-(

-Dom