ispsetup (was: Re: FreeBSD in Dixons)

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Mon Mar 13 08:16:40 GMT 2000

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 12:21:08AM +1300, Joe Abley wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 06:11:52PM +0000, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> > * We need to sit down together and figure out 90% of the variables
> >   needed to configure each service for an isp.  There are a number of
> >   issues involved.  The biggie for me is how to do resolv.conf
> >   correctly, even in the case of multiple isp's (not all of them give
> >   DNS configuration through IPCP).
>
> There are complications in selecting which number to dial, too.
> For example, here in NZ:

[snip]

> I see in the Demon example you used 0845, which is cheating :) I'm
> not sure a totally generic solution is even possible, but it'd be
> nice to be flexible.

Well, I'm sure a gfeneric solution is possible; I do actually like the
idea of the "dialling locations" feature in win95.  However, for the
moment, I think it's best to just put a reminder in the program stating
that the configuration assumes a national phone number and no pabx (edit
if required).  We can then revisit this area when we have some more
functionality in place.

> Mmm. Why don't people store this kind of thing in the DNS?
>
>   clearnet.auckland.nz.dial.isp-access.net. IN TXT "09-9123050"
>   clearnet.national.nz.dial.isp-access.net. IN TXT "0508550050"
>   iprolink.national.nz.dial.isp-access.net. IN TXT "086747765"
>   iprolink.auckland.nz.dial.isp-access.net. IN TXT "09-3590707"
>
> or something :)
>
> Oh, no -- wait a minute, I knew this sounded familiar:
>
>   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roamops-phonebook-xml-03.txt
>
> XML anyone?

I'd like to stick to the base system if possible; and there's no XML
parser there.  :-(

I think it would be a good idea though.

-Dom