ispsetup (was: Re: FreeBSD in Dixons)

Joe Abley jabley at patho.gen.nz
Sun Mar 12 11:21:08 GMT 2000

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 06:11:52PM +0000, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> * We need to sit down together and figure out 90% of the variables
>   needed to configure each service for an isp.  There are a number of
>   issues involved.  The biggie for me is how to do resolv.conf
>   correctly, even in the case of multiple isp's (not all of them give
>   DNS configuration through IPCP).

There are complications in selecting which number to dial, too.
For example, here in NZ:

 + if you're attached to an office PABX, you usually dial 1 for an
   outside line

 + except sometimes you're in the office of a European or US-run
   company, and they feel more comfortable using 9

 + some ISPs have nationally-significant numbers, like 0800, 0508,
   0867 or 0873

 + some ISPs don't

 + some nationally-significant numbers are not dialable from offices,
   and are only for use from residential lines

 + if there is no local number, you need to be given a choice as to
   which one to call -- for example some homes have plans which permit
   local-rate dialling to an adjacent area code for an additional
   monthly flat fee

 + some area codes cover a lot of different local calling areas, so
   local access numbers need to be listed by area name rather than
   area code

 + you normally don't want to dial the area code before your local
   access number, since if you do you will probably be charged a
   toll rate for the call

I see in the Demon example you used 0845, which is cheating :) I'm
not sure a totally generic solution is even possible, but it'd be
nice to be flexible.

Mmm. Why don't people store this kind of thing in the DNS?

  clearnet.auckland.nz.dial.isp-access.net. IN TXT "09-9123050"
  clearnet.national.nz.dial.isp-access.net. IN TXT "0508550050"
  iprolink.national.nz.dial.isp-access.net. IN TXT "086747765"
  iprolink.auckland.nz.dial.isp-access.net. IN TXT "09-3590707"

or something :)

Oh, no -- wait a minute, I knew this sounded familiar:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roamops-phonebook-xml-03.txt

XML anyone?

Joe