Intel EtherExpress - full duplex?

jon jon at dookie.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 11 11:12:21 GMT 2000

Hiya

Whilst trying to sort out a networking problem, I noticed the
following:

/public/rfc# ifconfig fxp0
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 192.168.255.255
        ether 00:a0:c9:4b:f8:85
        media: autoselect (100baseTX) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

This seems to suggest that my ethernet card is not running full-duplex.
Is this the case?  Is there any reason why it isn't?

All my machines are conncted to a 3COM OfficeConnect 4*100BaseT hub,
could this be the problem?  There's nothing in the manual regarding
full- or half- duplex operation.

C-YA
Jon

<http://www.dookie.demon.co.uk>