FreeBSD in Dixons

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Sat Mar 11 04:17:48 GMT 2000

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 04:42:22PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> > A message back from Bob Bruce:  They are actively talking to Dixons at
> > the moment, and anything they can show them to indicate a demand for the
> > product would be a big help.
> >
> > So, everyone who wants to be able to buy FreeBSD at Dixons (which I assume
> > would also include Currys and PC World, because they're all part of the
> > same chain) say "Aye" now.
>
> Aye,

and Aye again.

> as long as the price isn't a ridiculous amount higher than WC's
> price. Do you know anything about what price it will be? Higher/lower
> than WC's 30-ish quid, including delivery etc? On one hand, it could be
> lower, if Dixons buy in bulk, OTOH, well, this is Dixons...

Well, if they provide a high profile commercial outlet for FreeBSD
then I don't think that we should slag them off, in fact I think that,
if FreeBSD ever appears on the shelves of Dixons|Currys|PC World then
we should all go and buy a copy, even if we pass it on to schools,
colleges, computationally-challenged friends/colleagues, as a show of
support.

BTW, PC World (the Bath store at least) devote a fair amount of shelf
space to Linux and their book section contains a reasonable selection of
Linux/Unix books as well as the ubiquitous "Windows for Dummies"
(never did work out if that was a book title or a statement of fact
:))