FreeBSD in Dixons

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Fri Mar 10 20:04:40 GMT 2000

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 04:42:22PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
> > A message back from Bob Bruce:  They are actively talking to Dixons at
> > the moment, and anything they can show them to indicate a demand for the
> > product would be a big help.
> >
> > So, everyone who wants to be able to buy FreeBSD at Dixons (which I assume
> > would also include Currys and PC World, because they're all part of the
> > same chain) say "Aye" now.
>
> Aye, as long as the price isn't a ridiculous amount higher than WC's
> price. Do you know anything about what price it will be? Higher/lower
> than WC's 30-ish quid, including delivery etc? On one hand, it could be
> lower, if Dixons buy in bulk, OTOH, well, this is Dixons...

This is the same Dixons that Donna Dubinksi (sp?) of Palm (now Visor)
fame was complaining about not two weeks ago.  Apparently, Visor would
like to sell their units at a far cheaper price, but Dixons would just
absorb the price into their profits rather than selling them on cheaper
to the consumer.  And because they have such a strangehold on the UK
market, they can do it.

This was in Computing or Computer Weekly...

And it still doesn't mean that I don't want to see FreeBSD in there!

-Dom