FreeBSD in schools

Joe Karthauser joe at pavilion.net
Fri Mar 10 15:00:40 GMT 2000

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 02:14:23PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 11:03:25AM -0000, Michael Saunby wrote:
> > Has anyone on the list had any contact with Open Source for Education?  See
> > www.ose.org.uk
>
> Not yet.

I've not come across this one yet, although it's probably our school's
department knows about it.

> > There's a load of stuff on Linux but nothing on the BSDs yet.  OSE might be
> > significant as their site is linked with BECTa www.becta.org.uk
> > An important aspect for schools is where they can get support from and how
> > much it costs.  A national network of volunteers would go a long way to
> > establishing any system as the UK education standard - just a thought.
>
> I've just sent an e-mail to malc at ngfl.gov.uk.
>
> Paging Joe K:  don't Pavilion do a Schools Internet tie up?  You guys
> could probably present a paper or two about that. . .

We do, with a product called Ninaa (www.ninaa.net).  It's a FreeBSD based
connection managment system.  We're involved in bidding for various initiatives
at the mo; I'll enqire as to where OSE fits into the picture.

Joe