FreeBSD in Dixons

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Fri Mar 10 13:20:58 GMT 2000

Nik Clayton <nik at freebsd.org> wrote:

> So, everyone who wants to be able to buy FreeBSD at Dixons (which I assume
> would also include Currys and PC World, because they're all part of the
> same chain) say "Aye" now.

Aye.  Although making a purchase from Dixons or Currys is not something
I would openly want to admit to. ;))

> On a related note, there's no problem with including a FreeBSD UK User
> Group card in the UK CD sets, with information about us.  So, in the best
> example of design by committee, how does the following sound?

Good.  Although perhaps a separate list for newcomers?

Do we want this list to become flooded with questions from new users?

(I know that sounds very elitist, but I hope you get my point..)

> I'm almost tempted to include a phone number, but I suspect I'd probably
> get overwhelmed.  Having said that, if someone could arrange for a number
> with an answerphone message that went something like:

A nice idea in theory but I just don't think it would work very well.

I also very much like the idea of pre-configured IS options in the
installer, much like MS do in their internet configuration wizards.

-Paul-