FreeBSD in Dixons

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 10 11:34:48 GMT 2000

How do,

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 01:07:34AM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Apparently we can look forward to seeing FreeBSD on the shelves of
> Dixons Real Soon Now, and a much bigger marketing push in Europe generally
> over the next 12 months.  Which is nice.

A message back from Bob Bruce:  They are actively talking to Dixons at
the moment, and anything they can show them to indicate a demand for the
product would be a big help.

So, everyone who wants to be able to buy FreeBSD at Dixons (which I assume
would also include Currys and PC World, because they're all part of the
same chain) say "Aye" now.

On a related note, there's no problem with including a FreeBSD UK User
Group card in the UK CD sets, with information about us.  So, in the best
example of design by committee, how does the following sound?

    Congratulations on your purchase of FreeBSD.

    There is a thriving community of FreeBSD users in the UK, and a
    user group (The FreeBSD UK User Group, oddly enough).

    Membership of the user group is completely free.  We run an e-mail
    list to assist in problem solving, and for general chat.  We also
    get together for drinks evenings every now and then, and some members
    are more than happy to help you install FreeBSD if you happen to
    live nearby.

    For more information about the user group, please see our web pages
    at http://.../

I'm almost tempted to include a phone number, but I suspect I'd probably
get overwhelmed.  Having said that, if someone could arrange for a number
with an answerphone message that went something like:

    If you're a home user and are having problems installing FreeBSD,
    the following members of the UK User Group have said they are willing
    to help.  Please keep in mind that they are not being paid for this,
    and their availability may fluctuate.

    If you're in West London, you can call Nik Clayton on xxx yyy zzz

[ append yourself to this list as necessary ]

that might be OK.  Any of our ISP-running, FreeBSD-using members able to
sneak a service like that past management?

Oh, one more thing -- if anyone's got any design skills, a picture of
Beastie as "Brittania", sat down, complete with shield and trident, would
be absolutely *superb*.