FreeBSD in Dixons

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 10 01:25:57 GMT 2000

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 05:07:42PM +0000, Lee Johnston wrote:
> Nice to see some support for the OS coming into the market in the
> UK. Noticed PC World (well at least my local store) are pushing Linux hard
> in the OS section in-store.
>
> I don't know if this would be a good idea, but could we, with a little
> funding, get some CDs published, and ask stores like PC World to sell it.
> The package could provide support from the UKUG. Or another alternative
> would we to get the CD sets being sent to Dixon's and include a
> registration card, to allow users to join the UKUG??

I've passed the second idea on (consensus in private e-mail seemed to be
that we couldn't really offer support, as such).

Something else to consider -- I'd like to get example config files,
scripts, and so on, for /usr/share/examples, for the UK.

For example, a /usr/share/examples/ppp/uk/ directory, with sample ppp.conf
files for Demon, Pavilion, Freeserve, BT, ..., DNS configurations, and so
on.

Perhaps a /usr/share/examples/isp/uk/ directory hierarchy might be better,

    .../examples/isp/uk/$ISP/ppp
                             namedb
                             sendmail
                             leafnode
                             inn
                             squid

and other directories, each one containing commented configuration files
suitable for $ISP (Demon, Pavilion, Freeserve, and so on).

Obviously, there needs to be a big hefty disclaimer at the front of all
these advising the user to double check them before using them, but it
might help save new users some trouble.

The PPP configuration in sysinstall could then be modified to ask the user
whether they want to use a canned configuration for an ISP, and if so, to
select the ISP from a list. . .

Thoughts?