Printer Advice

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Wed Mar 8 21:36:26 GMT 2000

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 05:56:31PM +0000, Martin Hopkins wrote:

>     Ben> Barry Freshwater wrote:
>     >> Since I started using FreeBSD nearly two years ago, it has inspired me
>     >> to start an OU degree in Computing, and I have found myself in the
>     >> position of needing to buy a printer (never needed such a beast before)
>     >> to use on both FreeBSD and windoze 95. Does anyone know if there is such
>     >> a thing as a list of manufacturers / models that would be compatible? I
>     >> am currently running 3.4-Stable and will update to 4.0-Stable when my CD
>     >> subscription changes.
>
>     Ben> I use an Epson Stylus Color 660, with ghostscript, and it works
>     Ben> fine. I've never tried it with Windows though (I imagine it might just
>     Ben> work though).  It won't be the best printer ever, but for 100 quid or so
>     Ben> it's not bad, and certainly good enough for me.
>
> I'm happy with my Epson Stylus Color 800.  Works fine with 3.4 Stable
> and Win95.

An Epson Stylus 820 and an HP Deskjet 610C both work fine for me using
ghostscript, txt2ps etc.

FWIW, I've put details of setting the former up in StarOffice and WP8
on my website at

http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~mark/printer.html

A word of warning. Some of he newer HP's (7xx and 8xx models IIRC) are
Widows-only crap, credit to HP for clearly stating this on their
web-site.