fetchmail

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Sun Mar 5 17:51:44 GMT 2000

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 05:19:34PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 05:11:38PM -0000, David Richards wrote:
> > hello,
> >        please could some one send me a .fetchmailrc that will collect my
> > mail from a pop3 server and inject it in to sendmail, so sendmail will send
> > it to the correct users ?.
> >

> This is mine:
>

> # Configuration created Sat Sep 18 16:14:37 1999 by fetchmailconf
> set postmaster "postmaster"
> set daemon 2
> poll ukug.uk.freebsd.org with proto POP3
>        user "mark" there with password "not_telling" is mark here warnings 3600
>
> As you can see from the comment, it was created with fetchmailconf
> which, IIRC, is installed when you install fetchmail. It provides
> a GUI front-end to configuring fetchmail. Give it a try. There's
> a manpage for it.

Hmm, I didn't read your message properly. The .fetchmailrc will get the messages from the server but to route than to mailboxes I use procmail(1). Put this line in ~/.forward:

"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail"

and then construct a ~/.procmailrc to route them. This is mine,
primarily for routing mail from the FreeBSD lists into individual
mailboxes (current, stable, questions etc.). You should use the
To: field (e,g, the ``* ^TO_.*mark'' entry) if you want to sort by
user:

# .procmailrc
# routes incoming mail to appropriate mailboxes

	PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
	MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
	DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/Inbox
	LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log