How to change the default path

L. Cranswick L.M.D.Cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 18:56:24 BST 2000

>     Lachlan> Sorry about this query - but how do you
>     Lachlan> change the default path in FreeBSD for
>     Lachlan> all (including root) logins?
>
>     Lachlan> I want to swap /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin
>     Lachlan> but cannot seem to find the file that sets
>     Lachlan> this.
>
>     Lachlan> Thanks in advance,
>
> /etc/login.conf is the traditional place.
>
> Martin

Would I be believed if I said this did not work?

Also, a plain user's and root's path in FreeBSD 4
has /usr/games in the path - yet this does not appear in
the /etc/login.conf?

This was a minimum install of FreeBSD 4 for server
type applications.

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk