Cheap NIC

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Sun Jun 11 13:00:38 BST 2000

Andrew Boothman <andrew at cream.org> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good cheap 10/100 NIC?

I bought a couple of cheapo 'Dynanet' cards, Realtek chipset, for
about 12 quid (DYN005 on jungle.com).

  rl0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0 "Realtek 8139" rev 0x10: irq 10
  rlphy0 at rl0 phy 0: RTL internal phy

My (limited) testing (under OpenBSD, actually) showed these seemed to
offer comparable performance to an Intel epro 10/100.

I've not used them for more than a couple of weeks so can't say anything
about their stability, but should be fine for light use I'd think.

> I'd prefer to get a decent Intel or 3Com card, but money's too tight to

If you can afford ~50UKP then I'd always recommend the EtherExpress 10/100.

-Paul-