Problems installing XFree86 from CD

Tony Balazs tony at rothstein.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 16:35:36 BST 2000

During my attempted installation of Xfree86 from CD I'm getting the =
following message:

acd0: READ_BIG - MEDIUM ERROR asc =3D 1  ascq =3D 05  error =3D 00

Does this mean that the CD is damaged?  After skiping the tarballs that =
cannot be found, there is no X in /usr/X11R6/bin/X, for instance, so =
something's up.

Also, during the installation I have weird characters around the box =
showing "Extracting ... into /usr directory...
(lots of 3's A's, a "U" and an upturned ?).

So 2 questions: is my CD damaged and what do the weird characters =
signify?

Thanks for any help.

Tony