Network install over local lan

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Mon Jun 5 16:33:03 BST 2000

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 02:49:46PM +0200, Jonathan Belson wrote:

[snip]

> The way I did it was to remove the harddrive, plug it into
> one of my machines with an adapter cable, then install
> directly.  I built a suitable kernel on the other machine,
> too.

I wanted to avoid opening up the machine, hence my wish to get
a network install working. However, if that turns out to be the
best option...

> I had to do it this way since my network card required
> Scott's kernel patches, but I can't see any reason why a
> network install won't work.

Thankfully my card (a DLINK one) is on the supported hardware
list, I specifically bought one that was as I knew I would be
doing this one day (I have the Lib 2 years, it's taken a little
longer than anticipated :-)

> BTW, I left 32Megs free at the end of my harddisk for
> suspend mode - whether this is actually required or not
> I'm not sure.

Good point. Suspend mode defintely should need it's own disk,
might check out Tosh's site to see if there's any mention on
there.

Thanks for the reply and the pointers, much appreciated.

Neil.