lpd or lpr or?

John O'Farrell john at jofa.co.uk
Sun Jun 4 13:13:50 BST 2000

Paul Civati wrote:

> Giulio <coolio at onetel.net.uk> wrote:
>
> > FreeBSD  3.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #0: Thu Dec 30 02:57:15 GMT
> >
> > Below is the error message that I get when I try to print, I have been
> > trying unsuccesfully to find out why for a couple of days. At first,
> >
> > Jun  2 14:25:55  lpd[1089]: /dev/lp: No such file or directory
>
> Shouldn't that be one of the /dev/lpt? entries?
>
> The sample printcap here has lp=/dev/lpt0 in it.
>
> > after configuring printcap, if I clicked print from whatever application
> > it worked, but the output was terrible and I couldn't stop paper getting
> > in and coming out of the printer. I think I messed up while trying to
> > configure the filter.
>
> Sounds like a seperate problem.

Sounds like a PS problem, printing postscript to a non postscript
printer.
A job for ghostscript /usr/ports/print/ghostscript5
and maybe ghostview? /usr/ports/print/ghostview
Saying that, I have installed both and am still having the same problem
printing to my HP LaserJet 6L, but I think mine is now a driver problem.

In the hope that sometimes a starting point is all that is needed.
I'm a newbie to a lot of this myself.
John