Problem installing packages (4.0-RELEASE)

Mark Ovens mark at freebsd-uk.eu.org
Thu Jun 1 20:16:08 BST 2000

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 07:58:18PM +0100, Tony Balazs wrote:
> I have tried installing a couple of packages with no success.
>
> I have now succeeded in adding more of the basic distribution (I emailed previously about this) but suspect that I'm doing something wrong with the packages.
>
> With the basic distribution I was installing from a DOS partition by putting /FreeBSD/foo into C:\FreeBSD\foo and installing from there.  That seems fine.
>
> With the packages, I am putting /FreeBSD/packages/bar into C:\FreeBSD\packages\bar and essentially trying the same trick, only using the Packages part of /stand/sysinstall.  Is that all wrong?  It certainly isn't working as, although the INDEX is found OK and I can choose my backage from the menu, the installation then aborts.  Perhaps the packages need to be somehere else, although I am selecting an install from a DOS partition.

Just a thought here. I have never installed form a DOS partition, but
if you are installing "from an existing filesystem", option 6 on the
media menu, then you should enter one directory higher than you would
expect. IOW, if you had your tarballs in /usr/packages you would enter
/usr as the directory containing the dist files. Maybe this is the
same for the DOS install?

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX
mailto:mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org             http://www.radan.com