NTL and FreeBSD

Mark Ovens mark at freebsd-uk.eu.org
Thu Jun 1 02:04:17 BST 2000

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 12:34:10AM +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 10:23:56PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Can you give some tips here please. I registered under Windows, then
> > noted the settings and transferred them to FreeBSD. It fails on the PAP
> > authentication:
> >
> > May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: bundle: Authenticate
> > May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: deflink: his = PAP, mine = none
> > May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: Pap Output: parish ********
> > May 31 21:46:42 parish ppp[232]: Phase: Pap Input: FAILURE ()
> >
> > I tried dialling in from term and entered my username and password at
> > the login: and password: prompts (very carefully, and tried several
> > times) but it always comes back with "Invalid username/password pair".
> >
> > What else do I need to do?
>
> Can you connect OK using Windows? (a regular DUN connection rather than the
> dodgy stuff the CD likes to install)  I had the same problem as you for
> about a week after I registered, but only because ntl had screwed things up
> at their end -- I couldn't get on using Windows either for that time.

Interesting. I can connect with their own dialler, but not with the
standard Windows DUN entry that was created. Hmmm.

I have trawled the ntl.support newsgroup and plenty of Linux users
seem to be connecting OK :(

> There's nothing especially tricky in my ppp.conf; I think I just copied the
> entry I used for FreeServe and changed the relevant identifiers.
>
> I'd guess that your registration just hasn't made it onto their dialup
> authentication servers yet.  If you still can't connect with Windows after
> a decent interval, start hassling them -- the registration helpline is 0845
> 650 4044.
>
> Hope to hear about your successful connection tomorrow :-)

Hope to be able to tell you about it :)

 	Scott

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX
mailto:mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org             http://www.radan.com